As a Faculty or Staff member at RRU, if your research involves humans, then it will require an ethical review by the Royal Roads University Research Ethics Board (RRU REB).
The RRU Research Ethics Policy gives specific guidance on identifying research that requires ethical review. This policy applies to the conduct of research and scholarship by all faculty, staff, research associates, research assistants, visiting scholars, graduate and undergraduate students, regardless of the present source of their salary or stipend. Please also see Research Projects Using Royal Roads University.
You can download a Request for Ethical Review Form in Word format.
You can also consult the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans, on which RRU's Research Ethics Policy is based.
Other important links:
- TCPS 2: Course on Research Ethics
- Tri-Agency Framework: Responsible Conduct of Research
- Privacy Information Basics
The Office of Research Ethics can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org; 250-391-2600 ext. 4425.
Other types of research
Research involving radioactive materials, biohazards, and other hazardous materials is not typically undertaken at RRU. Research involving animals cannot be carried out under the auspices of RRU unless the research receives animal care committee review from an organization that holds a Certificate of Good Animal Practice from the Canadian Council on Animal Care. If you are planning to undertake research of this nature, please contact the Office of Research Ethics for more information (email@example.com).
Research Ethics Board
- Dr. Niels Agger-Gupta, School of Leadership Studies
- Asmanahi Antoine, Indigenous Education and Student Services
- Dr. Mary Bernard, College of Interdisciplinary Studies, REB Chair
- Dr. Kathy Bishop, School of Leadership Studies
- Dr. Runa Das, College of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Dr. Catherine Etmanski, School of Leadership Studies
- Dr. Heather Hachigian, School of Business
- Dr. Doug Hamilton, School of Education and Technology
- Dr. Brigitte Harris, School of Leadership Studies
- Dr. Elizabeth Hartney, School of Leadership Studies
- Dr. Cheryl Heykoop, School of Leadership Studies
- Dr. William Holmes, Faculty of Management
- Dr. Myer Horowitz OC, External Member
- Dr. Marnie Jull, School of Humanitarian Studies
- Dr. Leslie King, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Dr. Rick Kool, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Dr. Hilary Leighton, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Dr. Deb Linehan, School of Business
- Dr. Wanda Krause, School of Leadership Studies
- Dr. Mark Lokanan, Faculty of Management
- Dr. Kathleen Manion, School of Humanitarian Studies
- Dr. Pedro Márquez, International, Marketing and Business Development
- Dr. Wendy Rowe, School of Leadership Studies
- Dr. Phillip Vannini, School of Communication and Culture
- Dr. George Velestianos, School of Education and Technology
- Dr. Dennis Wong, Asia Academic Director, International Programs